Bald Head is a barrier island situated at the mouth of the Cape Fear River and home to one of North Carolina's three capes: Cape Fear. Sir Richard Grenville likely named the cape on his expedition through the area in 1585 before establishing the famous colony at Roanoke Island. Gravel feared a submerged sandbar, known due to its shape as Frying Pan Shoals. The shoals extend nearly thirty miles from Cape Fear into the Atlantic Ocean. 

In 1662, William Hilton led a party up the Cape Fear River. The party first mapped Bald Head Island and left livestock onshore. Permanent settlement on the lower Cape Fear followed with the establishment of Brunswick Town in 1726. 

Click on the pictures below for more information on each topic

Origins of the

name Bald Head

Battle of the Sandbar

THE ORGINAL LIGHTHOUSE

OBF.134.1.jpg

The Civil War

fortholmesplaque (2).JPG

Cape Fear

Light Station

capefear_pc.jpg
ob_handrail.jpg

Old Baldy

Palmetto

Island

OBF.010.3.jpg

Fresnel

Lenses 

IMG_7356.jpg

US Life Saving Service

ob_lifesavers.jpg

WORLD

WAR II

OBF.005.2.jpg

The Generator Society

OBF.143.1.jpg

Bald Head Island History

Proudly created with WIX by Abby Overton of the Old Baldy Foundation 

@2020, The Old Baldy Foundation. All rights reserved. 
 

OBF.020.5